Camp Kirkwood 23-24

THE TRIP

On the 30th of August 2023, the 6th grade of Durham Academy came together to go on a 3 night trip to Camp Kirkwood. This was the funnest I have ever had in my entire life. On the way there, I was mostly with some of my friends, just talking and having a great time. The buses were very loud and noisy/rowdy in a good way. Along this trip, there was ONLY 1 VERY BIG problem. (well 2) First of all, there was a very terrible hurricane named Idialia. Coming from Florida and up onto the east coast, this was crazy. We got over 7 inches of rain overnight. The ENTIRE LAKE was flooded and our cabins were very close to the rain. Anyways, the place was crowded. We played some basketball and played really fun games. I had a blast. I was SUPER SUPER happy when they said that cabin 6 had Mr. Lantzy in it. I don’t even know if it could get better than this. Besides the hurricane, this food was not at its best. But on day 3, I had the top 3 best waffles I have EVER had. We learned about compasses and a couple of more useful facts. At night, we played dodge ball and had snow cones. When I got my snow cone, it was pouring and when I got my snow cone, I was running and running for shelter, I slipped right when I got to shelter and had to get a new snow cone because of that. We then watched The Lorax before we went to our cabins. Before we went to bed, we turned on our flashlights and saw messages about a “ghost” named Megan who wrote, “Megan was here” and we were all shook. We then went to bed and all of my friends were in my cabin, which was awesome. When I slept there were 2 BIG spider webs, and I woke up at midnight with bugs all over me. I had to go on the bottom bunk to be safe at that point.

DAY 2

On day 2, we woke up hoping for some fun. We had breakfast and went straight to the activities. We had the pool and we all played moss. It was super fun in general. We had team building where we played games that were super fun. We also did the V swing, where it’s a thing that brings you high up and drops you down with harnesses on you that make you fly back and forth, this must have been the best part of our trip. We learned about forest ecology and learned about trees. We had lunch and played board games, and also went to meet our advisors and hang out with our cabin friends. We then went to have s’mores where we went to bed.

DAY 3

On the third day we woke up and ate breakfast. I had some of the BEST waffles ever. We went out to the zip line. It was so scary going up. I had to ask him to push me before he pushes me without me being ready. This trip was definitely a place where I got over my fear of heights. We went canoeing which didn’t turn out great seeing that two people were arguing about how to paddle correctly. Lastly, we met Bubbles, a pig, and played basketball, right before we went on the bus. All in all, this was super fun and I had a great time at Camp Kirkwood!

5 thoughts on “Camp Kirkwood 23-24

1. Harris I thought that you did a pretty good job explaining but you when you were writing twords the end you said I had some of the best waffles ever they were Eggos but still good job i liked the photos to.

2. I liked how you added a picture with me in it. Jk. I also liked the pictures you took. And how you typed DAY 1 DAY 2 DAY 3 all in bold